Lend Lease Involvement
Lend Lease managed the $227 million, 255,000 sf expansion and renovation of Delta Air Lines’ Terminal 4 (T4) Headhouse at John F. Kennedy International Airport in Jamaica, NY. This works represents a large portion of phase one of the JFK/IAT Redevelopment Program.
The expansion and reconfiguration of the Terminal 4 Headhouse project, which remained operation throughout construction, added 125,000 sf of space to the Headhouse and renovated 130,000 sf in the terminal area.
The project scope included new expanded facilities on the east and west sides of the Headhouse, extensive baggage handling system (BHS) modifications and additions, new vertical circulation including escalators, stairs and elevators’ pile and concrete foundations, a new security screening platform over third level retail space with terrazzo floor, modifications and renovations of building areas including removal of the monumental stairway between the third and fourth levels, granite floors added to the exisiting terminal and the relocation of utilities.
The new, upgraded Terminal 4 reduces congestion in the airline baggage claim and security checkpoint areas.
The project required both day and night shifts and totaled approximately 1,073,000 man hours, during which time there was only a single lost time incident for construction personnel and no incidents to the 30,000 public and passengers that pass through daily.
Specific safety elements of Delta Terminal 4 Headhouse included:
- Horizontal netting placed between steel members during structural steel erection.
- Temporary guardrails constructed of angles and cabling along all areas adjacent to AirTrain.
- All work was performed behind temporary 8” high partitions in order to protect all public/passengers.
- The project had an on-site medic along with safety representatives from AON (Insurance Administrator).
- Daily walkthroughs with these representatives along with Lend Lease Site Safety Managers kept the work place safe and alerted to all potential hazards.