Michael J. Ullmer, AO
Chairman (Independent Non Executive Director)
Term of Office
Mr Ullmer joined the Board in December 2011.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
Mr Ullmer brings to the Board extensive strategic, financial and management experience accumulated over his career in international banking, finance and professional services.
He was the Deputy Group Chief Executive Officer of the National Australia Bank (NAB) from 2007 until he retired from the Bank in August 2011. He joined NAB in 2004 as Finance Director and held a number of key positions including Chairman of the subsidiaries Great Western Bank (US) and JB Were. Prior to NAB, Mr Ullmer was at Commonwealth Bank of Australia, initially as Group Chief Financial Officer and then Group Executive with responsibility for Institutional and Business Banking. Before that, he was a Partner at accounting firms KPMG (1982 to 1992) and Coopers & Lybrand (1992 to 1997).
Mr Ullmer has a degree in mathematics from the University of Sussex. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants, a Senior Fellow of the Financial Services Institute of Australia, and a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
Listed Company Directorships (held within the last three years)
- Non Executive Director of Woolworths Limited (appointed January 2012)
Other Current Appointments
- Chairman of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra
- Trustee of the National Gallery of Victoria
Board Committee Memberships
- Member of the Audit Committee
- Member of the Nomination Committee
- Member of the People & Culture Committee
- Member of the Risk Committee
- Member of Sustainability Committee