Bankwest Stadium scores international LEED v4 Gold certification
- 24 May 2020
Integrating sustainability into the design and construction of Bankwest Stadium was critical to Lendlease and is testament to its commitment to lead the building industry in sustainable innovation. Lendlease worked closely with Infrastructure NSW, Venues NSW, VenuesLive, architects Populous, structural and civil engineers Aurecon and urban design and landscape architects ASPECT Studios to deliver a stadium that united green credentials with superior function.
LEED v4 Gold certification recognises many sustainable initiatives at Bankwest Stadium, including:
- Water efficiency through plants and capturing rainwater in a 260,000-litre rainwater tank
- Energy resourcefulness via effective mechanical plant efficiency and the installation of 100 kilowatts of photovoltaic solar panels
- Reducing the building’s embodied carbon through careful selection and use of building materials, as opposed to a traditional design
- Achieving over 90 per cent waste diversion from landfill, including recycling 700 kilograms of soft plastics from new seat covers, which have contributed to plastic wheel-stops and asphalt for roads
- Connectivity to public transport
- Activation of public spaces surrounding the stadium.
Quotes attributable to Dale Connor, CEO Building:
“By taking an innovative approach with our clients and design partners, Bankwest Stadium embodies what is possible when we collaborate towards achieving our sustainability goals.
“This achievement – along with our other LEED certified projects – is a testament to our commitment to creating the best places that balance our environmental obligations with community and economy.”
Bankwest Stadium is a NSW Government initiative. Lendlease was the design and construct head constructor, Populous managed architecture, interior design and wayfinding, Aurecon managed structural and civil engineering, wind engineering, ecological sustainable design and building services, and ASPECT Studios managed urban design and landscape architecture.
For more information, please contact:
External Affairs Manager – NSW/ACT
+61 433 028 405